affert's assorted observations

i'm affert. this is my blog.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Half way done

As of today, I've been at Emmaus for 6 months, which means my time here is half done. That is a weird thought. I'm looking forward to the second half of my time being even better than the first half. I've learned a lot about myself and what I need to survive in a people-intensive job. Just because I'm an introvert doesn't mean I can't do people-ministry. It just means that I need to make sure and structure alone time into my schedule in ways that let me unwind after a long day.

Cooking in our ministry center is always an experience. I put a bit more spices in the stew than I should have today. Jeff* couldn't even eat it, because it was too hot for him. However, most of out guys thought it was great. I'm developing a taste for spicy foods, although I'll never catch up to some of our guys. I've learned that hot sauce is an appropriate topping for pretty much everything but dessert. That and BBQ sauce.

I had my first chainmail related injury tonight. I was winding a coil of wire, and didn't have a good way of guiding the wire down the madrel, and was just guiding by with my left hand. When I got to the end of the wire, it sprung back (which is something it will always do). Springback is the coil unwinding a bit, like a spring. It does this with a fair bit of force. I didn't get my index finger out of the way in time, and the end of the wire sliced it. It is a weird combination of cut and bruise, because of the force of the blow. My finger is swollen. After this experience, I went and found a block of wood to do the guiding with and didn't further injure myself on the next coil :). I sincerely hope this is that last injury I'm writing about for a long time.

I'm a huge fan of Skype. I've just recently started using it, and I must say it is a very convenient way of communicating. The informalness of IM with the ease of expressions of a phone and the cost of an email. If any of you use it, let me know.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to my chainmail. Or maybe I'll go get something to eat. Choices, choices...

* all names of clients of Emmaus have been changed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home