affert's assorted observations

i'm affert. this is my blog.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Long day

Today was a long day in the MC (ministry center). We had a lot of guys come in today. Right now, we're kind of at a breaking point. We have too many guys coming in on a regular basis to really get done what we want to get done. We're trying to figure out how to restructure how the MC works in a way that will allow us to spend good time with the guys, encouraging them spiritually and helping them in life (trying to find jobs, apartments, get IDs, etc). These are the things we want to spend our time doing, but lately we've been spending a lot of our time doing the other day to day stuff of organizing and making sure chores get done and making sure that people aren't doing stuff they shouldn't be.
If you would, we'd appreciate pray about how to best serve the guys.

So over the weekend, my cousin brought his chainmail vest with him to our house. Seeing and playing with that was certainly enough for me to want to get back into that. So the last couple nights I've gotten my chainmail stuff back out. A while back I made a spiral bracelet that I really liked, but lost somewhere along the line. I made myself another one. It's made right onto my wrist, so if I ever go anywhere with medal detectors, I'll have to take it partially apart. It feels good to have it back on my wrist: I went for a little under a year with it on last time. I had to take it off for a air trip. I have no immediate plans for air travel, so hopefully I'll be able to leave it on for a while.
Another activity for this evening was buying the supplies I'll need to make a vest of my own :). It ended up coming to about $150! *cough* but a fair bit of that was tools that I didn't have before, but shouldn't need to buy again. At this point, I've got pliers and a somewhat crappy set of wire cutters. I bought a nice set of wire cutters and a drill and rods to wind wire into coils for making rings. So from now on, if I want a new size rings, all I've got to do is drop a couple bucks for the rod. And for getting more wire, buying it completely straight (uncoiled and uncut) is the cheapest.
Another thing that inspired this is trying to wean myself from computer games. I've been playing them way too much lately, to the point where it was hurting my ability to work well. More importantly, they were interfering with my relationship with God, so they had to go. "Throw off everything that hinders" and all that. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get past this phase of my life.

Well as usual, biological needs drive me away from blogging, but this time it is hunger. Dinner tonight was half a bag of trail mix, so I think I'll wander down to the kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home